Things That I've Been Thinking About Lately

I spend alot of my time thinking rather than talking. People always say that I am quiet, although I never really thought of myself as quiet. I'm just not that much of a talker. I enjoy thinking more than I enjoy talking.
Since I haven't been able to get out much recently. I have been spending most of my time thinking about things, like what I want to do with my life, and places that I want to go. There have been alot of different career paths that I've wanted to pursue since I graduated high school a couple of years ago. At first I wanted to be a race car driver, but that was probably never going to work out. Then I wanted to work with animals, but I couldn't think of anything that I wanted to do with them except be a vet tech, but then I realized that I didn't want to have to inject the animals with needles and that I wasn't really going to enjoy being a vet tech if that's what I had to do.
I also wanted to become a meteorologist because I love weather and looking at the weather maps and things, but then I learned that meteorologist use calculus to make their weather predictions and I am very terrible at math. I barely passed algebra and didn't enjoy it much, but I think that's because everything was taught too fast and I wasn't ever able to keep up. So I decided that I might not want to be a meteorologist, but just study weather for fun, on my own time.
Now I am working towards getting my associates degree in horticulture. Which is what my mom decided that I should do since I like both weather and animals. And plants involve both weather to survive and animals need the plants to survive. I thought I would enjoy taking care of peoples plants. Although I am worried about the chemistry classes that I am going to have to take. Which I am worse at than I am with math.
I enjoy helping people and I enjoy writing. I kind of want to be a journalist, but I don't know. There are alot of writers out there and I don't know how good I am at it, but I think I would enjoy being a journalist, writing for a magazine, or newspaper, but I don't know.
So, that's what I've been thinking about lately.




Joining Joise Two Shoes in her Two Shoes Tuesday. Click the link to join in, or see other entries. http://www.josie2shoes.com/

Comments

  1. My mother always wanted to be a meteorologist but couldn't because of math and a few other obstacles but she took some courses for her own fun and she can tell you what the weather will be like on any given day... we call her the weather girl...LOL... The world is your oyster ... even if you finish in horticulture and do it for a time , you've learned a lot either way... even if you find out you dislike something you thought youd enjoy , you have still learned something... Its just as important to know what you dont want to do as what you do want to do... You will figure it out over time.... patience... Happy Thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I just want to find something simple, but not too simple and not too hard. Thanks for the advice! : )

      Delete
  2. Any learning in any subject is a bonus. Often when undertaking what you think now as impossible subjects will gradually turn into understanding. Don't give up easily and any knowledge gained is an advantage. Career paths are often very wobbly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya alot of the classes seem to be easier to understand than they used to be, when I was in high school. : )

      Delete
  3. This was a wonderful, reflective piece about finding and following your dreams, Joseph! I am somewhat like you in that I think (and write) a lot more comfortably than I do talk. I have been accused of being standoffish, when really I am just awkward in social situations. I love that you are considering all the things you enjoy, and the pros and cons of pursing them as career goals. Too many people don't give it enough thought and end up doing something they really don't enjoy. Because you are young, you can pursue the horticulture degree, which you will undoubtedly enjoy and are certainly smart enough to conquer the required courses, and then if you want more, you can always add new learning and directions in your life! I think it will be fun to see where you are at ten years from now, and I hope you are still blogging to share it with us! Always continue your writing too, you just never know when you will be inspired with a piece that is perfect for submission to a paper or magazine. Write what you know, they always say, and have fun doing it! Great TST post, and we got to learn a little more about you... WIN-WIN! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that was what I was planning on doing, completing my horticulture degree. Then maybe trying to study something else, or see if that is something that I enjoy and continue with it.
      Thanks for the advice! I hope I will be able to continue blogging and sharing my stories with y'all! : )

      Delete
  4. Joseph, you know best what interests you and what your strengths are. Talk to your college counselor. Maybe sign up for the newspaper. You have a lot to offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've thought about sending something to one of those local free newspapers, but wasn't sure if I had anything to offer. Thanks for the advice! : )

      Delete
    2. Hi Joseph ~~ I think it helped to write all this down. Now you have thought through (think, the prompt word!!!) some of the pros and cons. I know people who list their options all on a paper, two columns for each, pro or con. Then the go back and figure out why one should be over the other. Sometimes they just pick the one with the most pro votes.

      People your age generally will change careers many times.
      Mine?
      1 1/2 years at college, the Univerisity of Nebraska
      3 years a factory worker at Elgin National Watch Company
      5 years in the Army. (1) Clerk typing school teacher, (1) personnel clerk (1) Electronics school, NIKE Fire Control Systems Maintence, (2) NIKE Fire Control Systems Maintence tech (radars and computers)
      3 years Philco Tech Rep Field Engineer at an Air Force Satellite Tracking Station in New Hampshire
      14 years at Johnson Manned Space Center, Houston (Aerospace Engineer as a Simulation and Flight Controller) [I finished my Associate Degree, a B.S. Degree, and a J.D. Degree while working at NASA--that took eleven (11) years going part time while I worked]
      22 years at San Jacinto College teaching Business
      12 years, retired

      I never really planned for a career or these jobs. They just sort of opened up for me and I took them. I've turned a few jobs down too.

      When I was small, I wanted to be a Junk Man -- picking up junk for people and hauling it to the trash. There might have been a Fireman wish there for a bit also.

      Just hang in there, know your options, know your strengths and weak places (seems you know these fairly well). Think things over, talk to people, and perhaps pray some about it. Like I said, you probably won't do the same thing all your working life.
      ..

      Delete
    3. That's a good idea, maybe I should try that. I kind of weigh the pros and cons in my head, but it will probably be better for me to write them down on paper.

      Those looked like some fun jobs, thanks for sharing. That is alot of years of school you went through also. I was thinking about doing the same working and then still going to college and trying to learn new skills and create more opportunities.

      LOL, I kind of wanted be a fireman (still do) when I was younger. Maybe even a junk man as well.

      Thanks for the advice. I will definitely be doing a lot of thinking and praying and hopefully I will figure it out eventually. Thanks! : )

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Visitor's are welcome! : )

Popular posts from this blog

Toy Cars And a New Computer!

I've Found More Trails to Explore!