Letter to Myself

September 24, 2013

Tear drops of joy fell down my face when heavy rain was falling down outside of my house last Friday. I had been much anticipating the rain fall all week and was really glad to see it, just as the weather forecasters had predicted. I think at least five inches of rain fell in and around Houston, TX. I had tears of joy, seeing all that heavy rain, hour after hour. Sometimes getting distracted by other things, but my mind was always on the rain, I watched it fall outside of my houses windows. Steadily, ever so steadily until it stopped at around 10 pm.
There didn't look to be any flooding, or storm damage from what I could see, after the rain stopped, maybe just the usual common puddles, or over flowing ditch that is always flooded after every storm, but nothing drastic though. There were some reports of bad flooding in and around Houston, but, not in my area.
My area usually doesn't get any major flooding, except for one time when my area got fifteen inches of rain from a train of heavy thunderstorms that pounded all through the night. There is a bayou right next to our house that usually helps stop water from over flowing into our streets, but this time the water over flowed over the bayou and spilled into my neighborhoods streets and came up to some of our neighbors houses and flooded them. It wasn't a terrible flood, just maybe a couple of inches. I think I got to miss school and I think it was a Friday, so I had a nice three day weekend. But no flooding this time around. Which is good, besides I'm not going to school anymore anyway, so it wouldn't of mattered. I don't like flooding, but I'll have to admit it was interesting to see. It's just I've never seen my neighborhood flood before.
All of this flooding reminds me of what's been going on in Colorado. My dad, aunt, and I had just been to Colorado and I remember my dad making a remark about not wanting to live there, down in the valleys because he was afraid that it would flood, but I think my aunt and I were both thinking that, that would never happen. That's very weird that it did happen and I feel really sorry for all of the people that had lost their homes.
Thinking about Colorado and flooding, I had wondered if they don't regularly get flooding due to all of their annual snowfall. I would think all of that snow on the mountains would pile up and melt down into the valleys each year, but then I guess people wouldn't have built houses and lived there, or maybe they would. I don't know.
Well, it looks like we are going to be getting some more rain this weekend. It looks like pretty much the same set up as last week, but with less chances for rain. I hope that I will get to see some more heavy rain like last week, but for now, i'll just enjoy this nice sun.


Joining Joise Two Shoes in her 6WS, click the link to join in, or see other entries. http://www.josie2shoes.com/

Comments

  1. Your letter was nice. I know you wanted me to read it also. We had about 2 1/2 inches up here north of Conroe. That was great for us. That time before your were born in 1979 our house in Friendswood flooded with about 26 inches of rain. We had 33 inches deep in our house.

    My sister was stranded in Estes Park, Colorado, with their latest rain. They couldn't get down the mountain because the canyon road up was washed out in a lot of places. They couldn't get into town because the river was flooding, they were on the north side of town. For food and supplies they could only get to the MacD's, to the Safeway grocery store, and to a breakfast and lunch place. They were at the old Hobby Horse Inn. Finally after they got into town they could go west over the mountain and up north to Cheyenne, Wyoming, then east and over to Iowa. About 300 miles out of their way.

    I make a "quick and easy stuffed green peppers" dish for two with one pepper. I boil it before or after cutting it into two pieces. Boil it long enough until it is soft enough tro cut with a fork. Then stuff each half with half a link of cooked boudin. Bake it fifteen minutes or until the boudin is hot and recooked a bit. About 15 minutes. You can top it with cheese or bread crumbs with butter and flavoring or with catsup like we do with meatloaf or just leave it plain.

    You are supposed to take a little of the pepper with each bite of boudin so that you come out even when the boudin is finished. No, they are not a bread bowl to eat the insides out. The vegetables will be good for you.

    Lastly, I do hope to get to Key West. It will probably have to be on a Disney cruise from Galveston or Houston although I think Southwest also flys there. OUr appointment in Miami was to catch a Norwiegen Crusie from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles through the Panama Canal. For sure we didn't want to miss that so we turned around and came back.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 33 inches, that's high. I hope you had a boat to escape. Sorry that your sister got stranded in Colorado, but glad that she got out.

      LOL, thanks for the green pepper recipe. I'll be sure to try it out, and I'll eat the whole green pepper this time too, like I do with the bread bowls. Sometimes I like the bread more than whats in it.

      Nope, don't want to miss that, but i'm sorry that you didn't get to go. : )

      Delete
  2. Very nice, Joseph. I am always fascinated by rain as well...especially the soothing sound of it as it falls on the windows or on the car if I am driving. The recent flooding in Colorado looked so awful on all the news coverage...sadly, they aren't talking about it as much and you know people are still suffering with all of that, but unfortunately, it is now yesterday's news...which was how it was after Hurricane Floyd in 1999 and my husband's parents suffered a lot of damage from the flood waters...their home is on a crawl space and still they had at least a foot of water in their home, so from ground level that is about at least 3 feet of water. They had a mess, but they were better off than many. They were able to repair and get back in their home after about 7 or 8 months. They were able to stay with my husband's sister who lived nearby. Some people lost everything. It was a difficult time in their whole community. Anyway, I really enjoyed reading your post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ya i'm glad that my house is usually protected from the bayou, or storm surge. My house is to the west of Houston, so we didn't get any of the storm surge from Ike, five years ago, but our power was out for about three weeks which wasn't fun, but i'm glad that our house didn't flood. Florida has to watch out for the wind and the rain. 7 to 8 months, that's a long time. Colorado will hopefully dry out soon. : )

      Delete
  3. I like watching the rain, too! In fact, I like looking at waterfalls, the sea, etc. It is calming. Sadly, Philippines just got hit by several storms the past months and it was so bad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And btw, Joseph, my baby likes your cat here. She was playing with it. I have to trick her to look somewhere else so I can type my comment ;o)

      Delete
    2. LOL, do you have a Siamese? Your profile pic looks to be a Siamese.

      Sorry that the Philippines has been hit by so many storms.
      : )

      Delete
  4. I love the rain, Joseph. It always makes me feel pensive and reflective. Your writing is really developing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya, it always makes me feel relaxed. Thanks! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where I live in West Texas is so dry that we always cry tears of joy on the rare occasions that heavy rains begin to fall! I love the rain as much as you do, it relaxes me and makes me smile... and everything smells so fresh and clean afterwards! Thanks for a great TST story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sorry y'all don't get that much rain over there.
      : )

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Visitor's are welcome! : )

Popular posts from this blog

Toy Cars And a New Computer!

I've Found More Trails to Explore!