White Lies

She smiled through her white lies as she wandered from table to table. Being a waitress was not one of her funnest jobs and she didn't feel like explaining the menu to every single person. "IS THAT FOOD GREAT?" "IS THAT FOOD GREAT?" "IS THAT FOOD GREAT?" "WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND?"
"They are all good!" she would say with a wearied smile. She didn't think that the food was all that good though, except for maybe the hamburger, but even that wasn't all that great either and she wanted to tell the truth, but it was her only job and she didn't want to lose it.
Wandering and wandering through the tables day in and day out. Until one day she collapsed and it happened, the pasta fell all over the man in the suits shirt.
"I ordered the food to eat it, not wear it!" Said the man in the suit with a sarcastic tone to the waitress. The waitress looked at the man in horror.
"I'll..I'll...clean it up" she stammered trying to find every towel that existed in the restaurant.
The man in the suit seeing the waitresses expression of horror decided to smile and told her not to worry about it.
The waitress started to cry and ran out of the restaurants door .
The restaurant being small, it's customers eyes were now fixed on everything that just happened, the restaurants manager told everyone that everything was all right, snapping his fingers at his workers to get everything cleaned up.
The man in the suit gave a nod to the restaurants manager, left a check, plus a tip and walked out.
Once outside, the man in the suit noticed the waitress still clung to the restaurants wall sobbing. The man in the suit looked at her and gave her a pat on the back and walked away.
A few seconds later the restaurants manager came to her side and asked her what's wrong and if she still wanted to work at the restaurant, but the waitress just kept on sobbing. The manager then just gave a big heavy sigh and handed the waitress her pay check of $300 dollars, plus $100 for the week.
"Plus a $100?" asked the waitress in confusion. "Where did that come from?"
"From that man that you just spilled the pasta on" said the manager
"Really?"
"Yup, and i'm going to let you keep it too." "I think you've been needing a raise."
"Thanks!" said the waitress wearily, with excitement. It wasn't much, but she needed the money to pay for her rent, which was way over due....
"Take the rest of the day and next week off." said the manager. "You look like you need some rest."
The restaurants manager then went back into his restaurant. The waitress slowly got up, tear stains covering her face and eyes as she slowly walked down the road, turning the corner right as the sun shined through the clouds. Wiping her tears away, she began to smile.


Joining Josie Two Shoes in her Two Shoes Tuesday, click the link to join in and see other entries. http://www.josie2shoes.com/

Comments

  1. What a nice story! I spent some time as a waitress, so I can really identify with the waitress in your story. I was always so grateful when people were so forgiving and generous. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was a waitress in my younger years and it's hard work. I loved this story and the best part is it had a happy ending. I liked that very much.

    Have a terrific day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I always try to make my stories have happy endings! : )

      Delete
  3. just yesterday a waiter kept me from ordering something that he had been getting complaints about all day from other customers. His manager bawled him out so I went over to the manager and told him how much I appreciated his waiter's honesty and that he should thank him as a lawsuit over spoiled/bad food would have been a bigger problem. I wont be going back there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, good for you! I don't want to eat at restaurants that I think have bad food either.
      : )

      Delete
  4. Good story, Joseph! You have a good heart, and it shines through your stories and characters. I always enjoy your creative endeavours. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I was the waitress I would have used that next week to try to find another job! She clearly was not happy there and the incident should have been the trigger for her to re-examine her priorities. Apart from that the story had me glued, Joseph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I was going to try and have her get another job, or something, but I didn't want to make the story too long. Thanks! : )

      Delete
  6. Joseph, what a wonderful story!! I just loved this, the emotions were so real, as was the waitress being tired, and mortified by her mistake. I know that there are customers with generous hearts like this, and I think it was a blessing in disguise for her. I have a feeling that he might come back to the restaurant again some day, maybe looking for a date with the waitress! :-) This was a great write, and I really loved your intro about the white lies waitresses tell, so very true, and an excellent take on this week's Two Shoes Tuesday prompt... thank you for adding a great read to our blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Josie is a romantic soul, isn't she. I liked your story a lot, thank you, Joseph, for giving it a mixed but happy ending. I am with the others and hope that she has a happy job.

    I like you, wrote of white lies tonight. You are the first I have read, I wandered before I started how many of us would do the 'white lie' thing.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Thanks, same here. I was wondering also how many people would write the white lies thing also, so I was a little bit worried about doing it. I wasn't sure what to write. I was thinking about writing a mean story, but I thought I should write a story with a happy ending. : )

      Delete
  8. Aww, a happy ending and somehow it seems the waitress's life will improve from now on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Visitor's are welcome! : )

Popular posts from this blog

Toy Cars And a New Computer!

I've Found More Trails to Explore!